Thursday, August 12, 2010

WARNING TO PARENTS OR ANYONE WHO TAKES CARE OF KIDS

Saturday evening I was playing with Evan in the living room as the rest of us were discussing what we were going to eat for dinner and going to yogurt mountain afterwards. Evan was sitting on one of those big huge bouncy balls. You know the ones in Wal-Mart that your kids can’t walk by the bin without getting one out and bouncing it! I was sitting on the couch holding her hands and she was sitting on the ball bouncing up and down. She started laying backwards on it while I was still holding her arms and I would pull her back up. We did this a couple of times and then she went back really hard and I kept her from banging her head on the floor and then she rolled over off the ball and started crying hysterically. Evan is tough! Usually if she gets hurt, she whines for a minute but gets over it quick or doesn’t even cry at all. But she was crying big…I mean big tears down her face, snot everywhere. I thought she had hit her head or something until I saw her holding her right arm against her body and pointed to it with her left hand just boo hooing. She was pitiful! After giving her a few minutes to calm down I realized that something was really wrong so I called doc in the box to make sure they did x-rays or to see if I just needed to go the emergency room. They did so at 7pm Evan and I headed to the dr. So much for yogurt mountain. I just knew DHR was going to interview me b/c they wouldn’t believe that she broke her arm on a bouncy ball! Every time I would move her she would just cry I know those people in the waiting room were like I don’t feel good would you please shut that baby up. All except for the lady beside us in the motorized chair that called out to Jesus for help every few minutes…she kept talking to me about Evan and how she knew someone blah blah blah…Anyway…after waiting and x rays, the Dr tells me that Evan has nursemaid elbow. I had never heard of such and if you haven’t either, here’s the Wikipedia link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nursemaid's_elbow When wonderful Dr. Lovely (yes that’s his name) explained to me how it happened, it made perfect sense and I knew that I had done this to my sweet girl. About 3 min after he put it back in place, she was moving her arm, giving me high fives, and knuckle bumps (chan taught her that) and was a happy laughing child! It was amazing! I could not get over the quick transformation and I was so glad there was nothing more serious wrong. Dr said it would be very likely that this would happen again so to be careful and make sure you pick her up under her arms and all that. I just can’t believe I had never heard of this before. So to all you moms, dads, babysitters out there who didn’t know about this pretty common injury, glad I could enlighten you!

No comments: